Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Round 2, day 1

Round two started yesterday. I had a fairly regular morning with the girls and Dave's mum at her place. I popped out for a blood test and then ended up leaving at around 12. I got a ride to Tea Tree Plaza and caught the bus into the city. I headed up to the oncology day centre and had my anti-sickness drugs prior to starting chemo. They gave me an extra drug this time, because I was sick last time. So far, so good.

I had a brief appointment with the doctor. I didn't really have any questions for him (surprising I know) and he didn't have a great deal to tell me. He told me he thought I ended up in hospital due to a virus. I'm not entirely convinced but I guess he knows about this kind of thing. Hopefully it won't happen this time. He seemed kind of excited that I'd lost my hair already. With ABVD (the usual treatment) people don't usually lose their hair until after four rounds or so. This BEACOPP business is more intense. I'm hoping it's worth it because ABVD sounds like a walk in the park.

After seeing the doctor, I settled into my comfy day centre chair to get my chemo. Three bags today and although they set the cyclophosphamide to go in slower to try and avoid a nasty sinus reaction, it didn't really work. My reaction was not as bad as before but I ended up having anti-histamine again. Such a bizarre way for a drug to affect someone....

While I was doing all this, Dave was picking up a new kitchen for our place. He met my dad and a couple of mates early in the morning and pulled out the kitchen, loaded it up and took it back to Gawler. Getting it all into our house will be a puzzle for another day but it brings with it a new oven, stove and rangehood and will be deep enough for a dishwasher, which will be very exciting, once it's all in.

Dave came to the RAH to pick me up and we went to mum and dad's unit in Black Forest, rather than all the way home. We waited for a while and then headed back to the RAH for another bag of mesna, the drug that prevents cyclophosphamide from wrecking my bladder. After that it was back to the unit where we stayed overnight.

I am feeling okay. Better than last time I think. I'll see how I go tomorrow morning because that's when I was sick last time too. It is nice to not have to worry about the girls and to just have a bit of time and space with Dave to just get treatment and do whatever needs to be done and feel whatever I feel and not have the pressure of caring for them. Those two girls definitely make this more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment