Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Hair, visiting and home

This round has been much different to the first one. I have felt much better, I have been eating much more. I have been on a different anti-nausea drug and I think it has made a great difference. I also think my body is now so used to having crazy drugs in it that getting another dose has not been such a shock. I also had a slight reduction in the dose of cyclophosphamide and etoposide (this is the one I get three days running), so perhaps that has contributed too.

What has been a shock though was the discovery last night of a very long hair growing from the top of David's ear. It was grey and about an inch long. He blamed me for not noticing it but it only became obvious after he had a haircut yesterday. He was quite troubled last night but is coming to terms with his old man hair growth.

Talking about hair, I am a bit annoyed that my leg hairs keep growing. I was looking forward to them falling out as a perk from this whole process. Maybe this cycle will put an end to them.

After I'd had my bag of cytotoxic medication this morning I was feeling quite well so Dave and I headed out to Tonkin (my very understanding workplace) in time to catch up with people over pizza breakup lunch. It was good to say hi to friends and colleagues and be back in the office, even if it was brief.

Following lunch it was out to Dave's folk's place to pick up the girls. We were greeted by two very cute, excited girls dressed up in Christmas clothes and one excited grandma (just in normal clothes). After a cup of tea and a catch up on what they'd been up to we headed home. We arrived to find that Travis the cleaning fairy had been and it was a pleasant surprise.

We keep receiving so many cards and messages and meals and gifts of all kinds we feel spoilt and truly blessed to be surrounded by generous, caring and loving friends and family. We are encouraged everyday by the grace and love of God, at many times expressed through people, and the many mercies He provides. I am looking forward to celebrating the birth of Christ over the next few days as it has a slightly new significance for me now. The hope and assurance I have through the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus means that whatever comes along I can face it without fear and rely on the One who suffered more than I ever will.

3 comments:

  1. Dave's hair= ick.

    You know, it wouldn't surprise me if some day in the future girls can take a pill that contains some of the drugs from chemo that will rid us of the hated leg hairs... bummer it's not working for you....have you lost your eyebrows and eyelashes yet or do they stay? Cos then how do your eyes clean themselves and keep rubbish out of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes ben's nose hairs grow so long they threaten to become intertwined underneath in a weird and disgusting nasal goatee of sorts. he knows daves pain.
    so happy to hear you are feeling better, a big answer to prayer. i hope you were feeling well enough to make the most of the pizza lunch, to miss out would be yet another cruel blow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention- once I found a HUGE hair poking out my chin. Yes, that is right, i had a whisker. I feel bad for accusing Dave of being 'ick' :P

    Jo, maybe a good Christmas present for Ben next year could be one of those nose hair trimmers... handy AND will create a more aesthetically pleasing husband :P

    ReplyDelete