Saturday, December 12, 2009

How low is low?

I thought perhaps it might be handy to put some numbers in here so that when I refer to a low white blood cell count, it makes more sense. I asked the doctor to print me off my last few results so I've got all the info.

White blood cells are expected to be within the range 4.00 – 11.0 x 10^9. On Wednesday my white blood cells clocked in a massive 0.05 x 10^9. That reading for white blood cells is too low for them to perform a differential analysis so I'm not sure of the neutrophil count vs lymphocytes etc. After a brief peak on Thursday with a reading of 0.12 x 10^9 my white blood cells were back down to 0.06 x 10^9 yesterday. I've had blood taken again today but I don't have the results for that yet. I am hoping it's getting better. It has to start going up one day.

In other news, my hair has started to come out. When I woke up this morning I was looking a bit Wolverine-ish with the sides of my hair sticking up and I thought I could do with a little bit of Wolverine-type healing factor. When I had my shower to settle down the crazy hair, I ended up with hair all over my hands. So it begins. All these chemicals have killed off my hair, they've killed off my white blood cells and they've messed up my mouth – I sincerely hope they have also hit the mark and killed off lots of cancerous cells too.

Surprisingly, I am reasonably happy in hospital at the moment. I have things to do and I am not feeling too cooped up and crazy. Praise the Lord for small mercies. I do marvel at the health system though. Sure it could be improved, sure there are some nurses that don't seem to care, sure the information isn't always the best and you have to wait a bit but really, how blessed am I to be in Australia where all these days in hospital are paid for by the country? And that I can access health care so easily. I know we pay for it through taxes but even so it is nice not to have to worry about having a massive bill at the end of a stay in hospital. So thanks everyone for paying your taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment