Tuesday, December 22, 2009

People and pills

I am currently sitting in McDonald's taking advantage of their free internet to post these blogs. Dave is having a coffee and there is a holiday feel. We are enjoying a few moments being childless in the city. Pity the next thing we have to do is head into the RAH for a bag of etoposide.

Getting chemo yesterday was kind of fun, in a weird sort of way. The nurses in the oncology day centre are so lovely. They are quirky and because patients keep coming back for their regular treatment, they get to know everyone and we get to know them. They were having a bit of banter and I participated, giving them a hard time. It is an interesting place. They know they are pumping toxic chemicals into you, but they do it well. I asked the nurse who was looking after me why she liked oncology and she said it was special to share in that time of people's lives. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it but praise God that everyone is different and there are people who feel called to this area.

In contrast, while I was getting my IV mesna last night there was lady who came into the room who had been in hospital for a few days due to chemo she had a while ago. She had breast cancer and they had removed the lump but were giving her chemo as a precaution. I asked her what drugs she was given and she had no idea. "I just let them give me what I need". Yowsers lady, don't you want to know? How can you just let them pump you with stuff without knowing? People sure are different.

I am going quite well today so far. I ate breakfast. Drank some juice and tea and swallowed all my tablets. And I haven't been sick yet. This is better than last time.

My trusty pill box loaded with my post-breaky pills.


2 comments:

  1. Beth, If i ever end up having to have Chemo, I'm gonna find this picture of you holding the pill box and I reckon there is a 99% chance I'll be able to convince myself it's a fun experience... you look so happy to be popping so many pills! ha ha... my mums got me taking all these vitamin pills and it's almost become a challenge i set myself in the mornings to get em all down as quickly as possible...nowhere near as many as yours, but i imagine the more the merrier when it comes to this game :P

    Awesome to hear you're feeling better this time round, i think it is super cool how you can tell the doctors and nurses that you got sick last time round and they have all these different ideas of how to avoid it...thank God for our far medicine has come :-) Hope the treatments don't interfere with your Christmas, if you don't write before hand, have a great Christmas :-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beth,
    I have noted that there are often no comments to your posts. I'm sure you are aware, but I just wanted to make sure you knew, that although we may not be making regular comments, there are many of us reading, being encouraged, learning and praying as you and Dave and your beautiful girls go through this. Thank you for your honesty and your humour and whilst the subject matter can be downright depressing sometimes, I really look forward each day to reading about how you are going and ways that I can thank God for our medical advances, but mostly for your attitude. Though you may not feel it, (and probably don't want to be or feel you should be), you are an inspiration and a person I am very proud and blessed to know, especially as you teach what real faith looks like when life gets hard. Love to you and yours and I pray you have a lovely relaxing and family-filled Christmas. Here's to seeing you back at college next year, beating me in every subject!!

    ReplyDelete