Monday, December 28, 2009

Bleomycin & vincristine #2

Today is Day 8 of Round 2. Dave and I headed into the RAH for a blood test and then waited for that to come back before they gave me my two IV bags. I think we were there for about 2.5 hours. My mum and dad had the girls and they were also looking after my sister's boys so the cousins had a lovely play.

My neutrophil result was 1 point something, which is better than the 0.71 it was for Day 8 Round 1. I will give myself a white cell booster injection tomorrow and then hope that I keep making white blood cells and don't get sick. Dave and I are both a bit nervous about the end of this week because it was the Thursday when things went pear-shaped last time. I am aiming to be doing less and staying away from people more so hopefully we will avoid a re-run of the Lyell McEwin.

Today there were a few younger people in the oncology day centre. One guy seemed to have heaps of big bags of IV to get through. I don't know what kind of cancer he had but he didn't have any hair and he was going to be there for a while. Next to us a guy came in for his first round. He was 30 and had testicular cancer. He was there with his wife and his cousin from Melbourne. His chemo sounded pretty full on - five days straight this week, then only Monday next week and then he starts over with five days straight again the week after. No breaks. That would be pretty crazy. He seemed quite distraught that he would lose his hair. He was Greek and just an ordinary guy. I almost suggested he read Lance Armstrong's book "It's not about the bike" because Lance had testicular cancer and treatment 5 days straight, but he didn't seem to be the reading type and plus, I really shouldn't have been listening....

The guy on the other side of me was also there for ages just reading his book. He had a permanent line in his arm. I think his name was Peter and I think he was a bit younger than me. There's just all sorts of people. Cancer doesn't care. Cancer doesn't pick people, it's just a bizarre chain of events in cellular mutation. Could happen to anyone - and does, it turns out.

Anyway, up until now, I am okay.

1 comment:

  1. I love to people watch and I think somewhere like a hospital is a fascinating place cos everyone has their own story to tell. Probably also good for you when you're feeling a bit down to see that you're not the only random person cancer has chosen to occupy...

    ReplyDelete