Monday, December 7, 2009

Nothing is straight forward

Today is day 8 of my first chemo cycle. Before getting my chemo drugs, I had to have a blood test to make sure that my blood count was okay. That meant that we had to drop the girls off early with the family day care lady so that we could be in Adelaide at 9 to go to the IMVS. I had my test and then we had time to kill before I was due in the oncology day centre. We wandered down to David Jones and had a coffee. Once again, a very civilized thing to be doing in circumstances that just don't match.

Once we got to the treatment area we were told my white blood cell count was low. They called the clinical trials nurse who spoke to the doctor and they decided to go ahead with the treatment anyway because I am due to have an injection of white blood cell booster tomorrow. This was good news because we were getting a bit cranky thinking we might just have to go home.

So I was eventually started on my drips and was happily leafing through a trashy Women's Weekly when the clinical trials nurse came for a visit to say that some of my blood results showed strange liver function and that I had to have an ultrasound just to check that it was only a reaction to the chemo.

After getting into the treatment area just after 10, we eventually left about 12:30 (we just missed the lunch trolley too - bummer) and headed downstairs to radiography. There we were told that we would have to wait until two because they were flat out and short staffed. Even then, there was no guarantee that we would get in at 2. This was starting to get tricky because we needed to be back in Gawler at 3:15 to collect the girls. Just as we were discussing our options and trying to decide whether to stay or try the Lyell McEwin or just me stay and then get a ride home with someone, one of the ladies came out to say another patient had to wait for a doctor and they could fit me in straight away.

I had my ultrasound and we left, getting back to Gawler with enough time for a short break before picking up a few groceries prior to collecting the youngsters.

We went in thinking we'd be heading home before midday but hadn't even completed treatment by then. It was long and draining to be having changes presented all along. We are beginning to see that treatment days should just be made clear with no other commitments because we never know what is coming next.

I have had a bit of a grizzle at home this evening - just being annoyed about having cancer and upset that there is still so much ahead. But it didn't last for long and I still feel that whatever comes along the Lord will grant me the grace, peace and strength to work through it. So far He's been managing quite well.

1 comment:

  1. How irritating with all that waiting. Good plan to clear the day out, saves stressing.
    when do you get the results of the liver scan?
    Praise God, He is looking after you, getting you in straight away for the scan.
    Sorry to hear that you were feeling low, but fair enough. We're praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete