Monday, March 1, 2010

Swab? Sure, why not.

We had a crap night last night. While we were still up, both Maesie and Elsie woke up upset - at one point it was simultaneous which is always fun. We sorted them out and went to bed at which point I ended up bawling for a bit because I'm over all of this. It wasn't about anything in particular, just a bit of everything. I'm okay today, I just have to let things out every now and again I suppose.

It was late by the time I had finished slobbering into tissues and then we were woken at 2 by Maesie and a wet bed. Cleaned her up, put her in the bottom bed but it was unsatisfactory, apparently. I went down once because she was cold. Put on a blanket. Back to bed. Down again because she was scared. Couldn't be bothered with tears and drama so she came into our bed. Dave was out to it and fully occupying his side, Maesie pretty much took all of mine so I dozed, clinging to the edge of the bed until about 6:15 when Elsie woke us up. Dave settled her and she slept till 7 so I got another 45 minutes of precarious semi-slumber. Needless to say we were all a little weary this morning.

Dave took the girls to pre-school and daycare and I went to have a blood test. We met back at home and then drove to the RAH for day 8 chemo. I had to wait a bit for my blood results but they were pretty good. Neutrophils started with a 1. I think that's good, I mean it's good for me because I have some sort of immune defense, but I do wonder whether the chemo is still hacking into the cancer as well as before. My haemoglobin was 81 so that's still down fairly low. I had a booster injection for it today and we'll see if it does anything.

Today at the oncology day centre I was lucky enough to be there on the day selected from the random draw for a VRE swab. I'm not quite sure what VRE stands for but it is a resistant bug they want to check for to keep tabs on it in the hospital. The most excellent news was that the bug lives around the human rear end, so that was the region requiring the swab. So off to the lav I went with my long cotton tip..... The bonuses with this whole process just keep coming! I really hope I don't have it because if I do, I'll have to sit in a little room to get my treatment and not be out where things are happening.

Although I was miserable last night, today I had a little kick up the pants because things could be quite a bit worse. There was an old guy next to me today and he had all sorts of tape on his nose holding in a tube which was tucked behind his ear when not in use. When he was using it, he had a big syringe with which he drew up some liquid food from a can and injected it into the tube. He was 'eating' through his nose. Yoiks. I am so glad I can still eat real food. I think he also had to be there for many hours.

Anyway, that's the end of my IV chemo for Round 5. Now I just have to get through the rest of the days without getting sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment