Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yet another new development...

My haemoglobin has reached all time lows and was 73 yesterday (it's supposed to be up around 100). This means I win a prize - two units of blood tomorrow. It's been sorted out this afternoon by the trials nurse and my GP in Gawler. I have to rock up at casualty at the Gawler Health Service at 8 am and settle in for a few hours to get some new blood. I had a blood test this afternoon for them to match me up with the right stuff. I haven't really thought too much about getting a blood transfusion before and I didn't think it really bothered me, but it kind of does in a way. It is a bit weird to think that someone else's blood will be slowly fed into me through a tube. Blood is a fairly personal thing and it's a bit icky. The general idea in first aid is to avoid getting other people's blood on you, but I'm about to sit down and let them put it in my arm. David did suggest that perhaps I could request blood from someone with super powers so that I get a real pick up but because it's been a bit of rush I thought it was a bit cheeky to ask. Maybe next time. This time I'll be happy just to have a bit of haemoglobin.

My festy shingles sore on my foot went hard and crusty and the other day it came off. It was quite interesting because the edges were joined to the skin but underneath it wasn't connected at all. It came off in a couple of big pieces and there is nice new skin on my foot now. I might try and get some pictures... I still have to take two tablets twice a day to keep the shingles at bay.

Other than that, I have finally folded all the clean washing so we all have clothes in our cupboards which is better than rummaging for underpants in the laundry every day. We've also had our gas stove connected after a few months without it due to the new kitchen. Dave is happy to be able to cook with it again.

2 comments:

  1. Aaargh I feel faint just thinking about it....must admit I dont like the thought of others people blood either.....but its all for the better and have heard amazing stories about people feeling instantly better.
    Praying for you.
    xxJandra
    ps- Maya was sooooo excited to get the invitation in the mail today

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that as keeping the shingles on ebay.
    Hope the transfusion makes you feel better. we'll be praying the blood is Hb packed and sqeaky clean.
    Love you heaps.

    ReplyDelete