Friday, March 12, 2010

No more icecream

Food is important to me. I like to cook and I like to eat. At the start of all this, back in October I guess, I was not enjoying food so much. I didn't always know what I felt like eating and sometimes just had a slice of toast for tea. Then I read about all sorts of eating/food related stuff before I started chemo - mouth ulcers, nausea, vomiting, change in taste amongst others. I was primed for it to be a bit of an issue.

For the first round it was a bit tricky. I did feel sick, I did spew, I did get a sore mouth. I think I weighed about 61.5 kgs. I didn't eat heaps, but I tried to get something down and I tried to make it good. Since then though, I have had different anti-sickness meds (Emend) and I've had very little trouble eating. This has been both good and bad. I am very glad that I haven't been sick and that I can eat pretty much anything. The problem is that I HAVE been eating pretty much anything. I eat a fair bit and I eat a fair bit of junk. At the beginning I read all sorts of stuff about wholesome food, organic fruit and veges etc etc and had grand plans of providing my body with good fuel. Ha! Chips and icecream more like it.

I have been eating too many desserts, too many biscuits, too little fruit. I read in one 'Eating with Cancer' booklet ways to up the calories of foods that cancer patients are actually able to eat. No need here - the calories are up high enough. Today I had to hop on the scales again prior to my doctor's appointment and they read 66.3 kg. I'm not sure that people are supposed to gain weight whilst they have cancer and they are being fed toxic drugs for it. Turns out it can be done.

My lack of exercise hasn't been helping. It's time to cut back on the crap and start getting some muscle to replace the fat that has been creeping on. Although I could blame it all on the steroids that are part of my treatment. Perhaps it's not the icecream after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment