Sunday, February 14, 2010

Shingle all the way!

Yesterday when I woke up, I wasn't feeling the greatest. I was weak and a bit shaky and couldn't stand up very well, not that I was supposed to be standing up on my festy foot. Anyway, I ummed and aahhed a bit about whether I should go to hospital but Dave didn't want to stuff around and he said I was going.

So unfortunately the ladies at Starplex were left without a combat class (sorry!) and we headed down to Lizzy. My folks had a meeting at their church which is on the way to the Lyell McEwin so we dropped the girls off with them and then headed to emergency where they fairly quickly got me into Rm 28 where I spent some time when I was here during Round 1. It's such a weird room - it's under negative pressure or something like that and everyone who comes in has to have a gown and gloves and facemask on because of my neutropenic state. The ventilation is noisy and the door stays shut so I've kind of felt like I've been in solitary confinement for much of the last day or so.

Dave came past this afternoon though and has saved the day by bringing me a wireless internet thingy-ma-jig so that I feel a bit connected to the outside world. It's a bit sad how much I feel lost without the internet these days, but it's a handy way to communicate and keep busy while I'm here.

I've been feeling ok really but I have just been in bed resting so I'm not too sure what I would actually feel like if I was doing stuff. But I'm not supposed to be on my foot anyway so in one way it's good that I am here doing nothing.

Last night the doctor did have the results of my foot swab and it did come back shingles. So that's very exciting. There is a chance it could become a systemic infection and really get me but I am hoping and praying that I started the tablets early enough and that my white blood cells, which should be back today and tomorrow, might be here in time to get rid of it. We shall see. There is also an exciting chance that the girls and Dave might get chicken pox. Hopefully this does not eventuate because it would make for a very unhappy MacGillivray household.

This afternoon I was moved up to ward 2C so am now just in a room killing time, trying to get a bit better. I have windows in my room and can see outside which is a nice change from the lock-down room in emergency.

I am not sure how long I'll be here for. I am hoping the doctors here will get in contact with Dr Giri tomorrow and that it'll be sorted out a bit. I am also not too sure what this means for my scans on Tuesday, whether I'll still be heading to the RAH or whether they might be done here.

In other news, yesterday when we met my mum to drop the girls off, she had a suitcase for me - one that had been my great uncle's and then my grandpa's. I was pretty excited about it. I guess it's waiting for me at home.

1 comment:

  1. A suitcase!!! An old family one that's exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete