Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Options for the future, don't waste the present

Through all of this I have been thinking about what I'm going to do once this is over. Assuming, of course, that all goes well and that the lymphoma is gone after treatment is complete. There is part of me that acknowledges there is a chance that it may not all be over, but that's a different scenario.

Anyway, I've got a few options and I'm not sure what to go with. Do I go back to engineering for a couple of days like before? Do I do something with my recently completed Grad Dip and look for some sort of ministry work? Do I attempt to write some sort of book about something (this sounds very vague and in some ways it is, I just have a few thoughts about different books/topics that could be done)? Do I teach? Do I study some more? Do I do a combo? How many can I squeeze in? What's the best use of my time and skills?

I read an article by John Piper (a Christian preacher/theologian) who had cancer and it was thought provoking. It's called "Don't Waste Your Cancer" and I shall attempt to include a link....
Don't Waste Your Cancer :: Desiring God Christian Resource Library

It's a fairly short article of ten points for why/how the experience of cancer should not be wasted.

As I move through this phase of life and all it entails I do tend to agree that there are opportunities for my own growth, but also benefits for others that I shouldn't waste. Only thing is, I can't quite work out what they are or what I should be doing or how to ensure that this experience isn't wasted.

Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Bess, you're not meant to have a mid-life crisis for at least 10 years! From Paul's latest crisis I have learnt
    - there are always many options but only some are suitable for you;
    - you must do work that gives you something you need back. This doesn't mean only think about yourself but that we all have certain "things" we want from our employment
    - keep a list of all the suggestions people give you. Some of those that seem strange originally may turn out to be the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes, I do believe God has a plan and you shouldn't waste an opportunity he has opened up for you. The opportunity would not be 'wasted' if you went back to your normal job and 'normal' life however because you will always be encountering people who have gone through a similar thing and can then share our experiences and faith.

    One thing i have often thought is, considering hospitals are often places where people are often at 'the end of the road', there isn't much evangelism happening there. I don't know how this would look in real life, but I think patients could really benefit from hearing from a person who has been where they have been, know what they are feeling and your experiences with your faith and how that has provided you with hope and comfort.

    Just my thoughts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about what else but girl, there is a book in you!
    Ju xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samara is right! It is so worth sharing with those who are facing what you have had to deal with and it would be so beneficial for confidence, hope and healing.
    God will make you confident as to the next step and where you should go next but yes a book written by you would be very much worth the read. God bless xox

    ReplyDelete