Friday, April 30, 2010

5:30 am and $4.60

My day started early today. I got up at 5:30 am and left the house at 5:45 to drive to Adelaide Uni to line up at Venuetix to try and get tickets to the Powderfinger concert. I haven't been up that early for a long time. Prior to children, I used to get up around that time quite regularly and go for a little run before catching the 7 am train to work. That was a while ago now, a lifetime ago it seems. I do like the early morning though, it's like it has a sense of mystery and adventure. Like when you get up early to go fishing or to leave for a holiday. Isn't that the time when the BFG goes around blowing dreams? Most people are still asleep and it feels sneaky to be up and doing something. I remember one time my aunt and uncle picked me up early when I was a youngster - maybe I was 4 or 5? - and they took me to Renmark. We left early and it felt like a big adventure. It probably wasn't that early really, but I was little. I also suspect that people who have to get up early and do things at that time on a regular basis probably don't get quite a kick out of it. I know for sure that if a day with the youngsters starts that early there's no sense of adventure...

Anyway, I drove myself safely to the uni and got into the Union building and was the second in line. I waited my 2.5 hours and left with four tickets. I am very glad to have them and for it not to have been too stressful this morning. On the way home I stopped at a North Adelaide cafe to use the latrine and get a hot drink. A medium chai latte. How much they asking? $4.60. Tell 'em they're dreaming. Well, I wish I did. Half my cup was fluff. I shan't return. Maybe she charged me extra because I used the toilet.

After that I went to one of my favourite fruit and veg shops, on Prospect Road, and purchased some fresh deliciousness. Further on my journey home I bought Dave 10kg of flour from Mitani Bros so he can keep making pasta.

The rest of the day was spent at home and we were all here. Elsie was grizzly and annoying - I think some teeth are on the way. Maesie was pretty good but I did have to tell one story featuring the new Mermaidia barbie. A nasty witch had stolen her voice and the Prince had to find the voice and free her. That was not my choice of plot, by the way.

This evening Dave took a lounge around to a friend's place and then she came for dinner. It was a pleasant time together. I have been seeing quite a few friends and having people over and catching up and I think I will try and continue to do so once this lymphoma business is resolved. I have enjoyed seeing more people and making the effort to have people visit and go and see them. I have not been the greatest at organising times to catch up with friends but I am getting better and I think it has been and will continue to be important to keep developing relationships with others. I'm not too sure how to go about it all, but i'll give it a go. It has been easier while I've had more time on my hands, just hanging about waiting for my next appointment. It'll be tricky when I feel up to filling that time with other activities.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got your tickets and are enjoying feeling okay. I look forward to being one of the people who gets to catch up with you more often:):)
    xxJandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you mention the BFG. yes so true just blowing dreams into childrens bedrooms. It does kinda feel like that when i get up early and head off for the 6.30 before school care start and the world is silent and nothing is happening except for the cars on the road. YAY for catching up with friends :) I have enjoyed catching up with you and Dave more this year :) xo

    ReplyDelete