Thursday, April 29, 2010

I feel better with my watch

I had been without a watch for a little while because the band broke. I was going okay without a time piece, better than I would have a couple of years ago. I usually check my watch a lot and would have the other morning when I was getting a blood test, knowing that I would be late for the workshop. But I didn't because I figured it didn't really matter. I couldn't make the lady call my name any sooner and just stressing about it wouldn't make me any earlier. But my preferred state of being has been restored because I got new batteries for two other old watches this morning. It's nice to know the time again.

Today was day 3 of cycle 8 so I only have one day left for IV stuff from the oncology day centre, as the plan currently stands. The nurse got into my vein first time (the hands have been a success story for this round too) and then I just had my little bag of etoposide sandwiched between a few minutes of saline flush. I left around 11.

It was Thursday, so it was Chicken and Corn soup from the Lavender Lads and Ladies so I had a cup of that. It was tasty, even though I still think it is weird to have soup around 10 am. The lady next to me today had some sort of lymphoma too. She had a permanent line in her arm and I am glad that I didn't have to get one of those. While she was getting her chemo, a guy came to see her with a big list of appointments. She's got lots of tests coming up and then she has to see Dr Giri about the results and then they will work out if she will go ahead with a transplant. I'm assuming it's some sort of stem cell or bone marrow transplant. I've read that they can be pretty nasty and knock people round in a big way. She's got an education session with some nurses about it in a week or so. Good luck lady, that's some crazy stuff I hope I won't need.

After I left the hospital I headed up to Rundle Street and met a friend. We popped into a fabric sale and I got a few bargains. Now I have to use them instead of just collecting them. From there we headed to a thai place for a bit of lunch. I had crispy egg noodles with mango sauce. Not a dish I've had before but for some strange reason I chose today to give it a go. It was pretty good, but I won't be rushing back for more. I like my noodles soft and warm. We had a lovely chat and a nice little catch up. It was particularly special because we live at opposite ends of the greater metropolitan area so can't pop round with ease. She also had a suitcase she had found for me. I am not quite sure where it should go and whether I need to implement a 'suitcase in, suitcase out' policy. I don't think it needs to come to that just yet.

My friend gave me a ride to the train station and I caught the 1:38 to Elizabeth where I met Dave and the girls on a quest to find a Mermaidia Barbie for Maesie. She had some birthday money to spend and only a Mermaidia Barbie would do. We tried Big W, then Target and eventually had success at Myer. We headed home before things went too pear-shaped.

Once home, I pretty much crashed. I walked a fair bit today and am all worn out. I will be off to bed soon because I will be up early in an attempt to get Powderfinger tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment