Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Celebrate?

Yesterday was the last day of chemo for Round 7. We dropped the girls at grandma's and went into the hospital yet again. I didn't have to wait too long and my two bags and flushing didn't take too long either. It was uneventful. Creamy pumpkin soup - no thanks, not today. I got a bunch more antiviral and antibiotic pills to get me through to the next round, as well as a red cell booster injection to give myself next week.

We went back to Dave's mum's and had some lunch and then hung around for a while because the girls were happy (mostly) playing with their cousins who were also there. Plus it's easy to stay in the MacGillivray village and pretend there's nothing else to be done at home. When we got home it was dinner time, reading time, bed time etc.

Today we had a slow start. Just hanging around at home till around 11 when we left to go to Dave's sister's place. Dave and the girls stayed there and tried to help get ready for their weekend happenings however I'm not sure if they were more hindrance than help. I drove into the city to catch up with a couple of friends for lunch. I had a delicious pasta dish plus some scrumptious dessert. We sat outside and it was a lovely day, with lovely ladies and lovely food.

After lunch I went back to the MacGillivray village #2 where we did a few little jobs and then came home. This evening we have had a friend around for dinner and had a very nice time, though the conversation has been largely poetry/English/drama based which is not my favourite.

I have been asked a few times about my former quest for suitcases and what they were actually for. I now have two stacks of four suitcases in the front lounge room, some of which are filled with a variety of random items such as spare pillows or stationery. Here are a couple of photos:




As these 8 rounds draw to a close I have been thinking more about what happens at the end and different people have made comments along the lines of 'I bet you'll be glad when this is all over', 'not long now and you'll be finished', 'soon you'll be able to celebrate' but I don't really feel it. I'm not sure if/when I will feel all those things. I'm really not sure if I want to celebrate or if I think there is anything to celebrate or if I just want to get back to the way things were. But I also can't pretend that nothing has happened and I need to accept that something has been completed.

I think it's more that if it's all gone I will thank the Lord for getting us all through it and healing my body through the care and science of the medical profession and the care and prayer of His people. Then I will continue to plod along trusting Him with whatever comes along next. I'm not convinced that needs a party.

3 comments:

  1. Those suitcases are gorgeous!! Such a great idea. Interesting scenario you are in as to what you may/may not feel at the end. It doesn't seem that it's that clear cut until you are in that moment. I guess as long as you let yourself feel honestly at that moment, and not think you are 'feeling' wrong or lacking a feeling you think you should be experiencing, that's all you can do.Regardless, you've helped me keep my chin up more than once *hugs* thanks for that xx

    Ju xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey here's an idea,
    we'll throw you a giant surprise party in an extremely public place and force you to do a big fat speech. you'll love it.
    Feel what you want, if you want to celebrate with shouts of joy and nudity in the streets of Gawler, then do it.
    If you just want to have a quiet cry in the arms of your wonderful husband, then by all means, go for it.
    In the words of the great Marcia Hines 'just stay true to yourself'..........whatever that means.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice stack of cases. And filled with stationary you say!? Quite a treat. My suitcase collection is limited. A $2 one from a Lobethal church sale and one mum picked up from hard rubbish.

    Kate Bom

    ReplyDelete