Monday, April 26, 2010

Let the good times roll.

The long weekend is over and it has been jam-packed with action and adventure. Adventure is probably an exaggeration, but we have been busy.

Saturday began at Starplex, as all good Saturdays should. I did RPM this week and it was good. Lucky I burnt a few calories in that class because in the afternoon, Maesie and I went to MacGillivray village headquarters for Dave's sister's baby shower. It was a nice little party and she is well on her way to having masses of baby gear. Maesie enjoyed playing with the other two youngsters there and I think she was a bit chuffed to be at the party without Elsie and all the other cousins. Dave and Elsie also enjoyed their time together at home, so it was a good day all round. I was tired when I got home, but it wasn't too bad. Dave and I watched '5o First Dates', which I have seen a few times before, but is always good for a giggle.

On Sunday we went to church and after the service a friend invited us to lunch because they had baked copious amounts of focaccia. We had a tasty lunch with her and her girls and concluded the visit with a game of 'Disney Buzz' on the Playstation. It was a quiz game all about Disney movies - Dave won.

After lunch we had some friends around for afternoon tea and we mostly managed to chat and enjoy a hot beverage in the front lounge whilst the girls pottered about and played in the front yard. Yet another good time catching up with friends.

Today we all enjoyed brunch with two couples, their offspring and impending offspring. More delicious food and more delightful company. Conversation topics such as lawn establishment and maintenance, cloth nappies and the difficulties of getting out of beanbags only confirmed that we are all getting older. The girls were, once again, quite well behaved and we were all able to enjoy our time there. Although Elsie said even less than normal and was quite reserved after her nap, nothing like the screaming banshee she sometimes is at home.

We left brunch around 1:45 and traveled to Humbug Scrub to see my mum, dad, sister, brother-in-law and two nephews. Nothing overly exciting to report about our time in the scrub, but it was just nice to be there with my family for a little while. My sister is also due to have a baby in the next few weeks so I'm looking forward to that.

Tomorrow I start chemo again. Round 8. It should be the last one. It's going to be a bit weird I think. The oncology day centre and its nurses have been a significant part of my life for the last 6 months or so - I'll miss them a bit. I won't miss the chemo or the cancer but there are other parts of this that have been good. It'll be day one tomorrow so that's doxorubicin, etoposide and cyclophosphamide. The last time my sinuses get burnt out - that'll be good. I will nibble biscuits again because it seemed to work for me last time.

Before I start tomorrow I have two other things - a blood test and a workshop/seminar. The blood test doesn't worry me. The seminar does. It's called 'Look Good, Feel Better' and it's about how to look after your skin and do your make up and deal with hair loss etc etc during chemo. I feel a bit dodgy doing it tomorrow since I'm about to finish and I don't really care much for make-up, but I haven't really been able to make it to any of the other dates it's been offered and the word on the oncology street is that they give you quite a few products to use. If I end up with a bit of free moisturiser I'll be happy. If they make me tizzy myself up with lipstick - not so happy.

In other news, I think my hair is growing back. I have an even fuzz all over my head and it didn't seem to fall out last time. Also, my previously polished toe nails are coming to an end. A few have chipped off, I had to cut one. It has been a little sad. It also saddens me to report that my beautiful front yard has been invaded by weeds. After a few showers of rain all the stinky soursobs have come up. They are as welcome as the cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment