Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Maybe she's born with it....Maybe it's Maybelline

Yesterday we dropped the girls with their surrogate grandparents and then Dave and I headed into the city. I had a blood test at IMVS Frome Road and then I was a bit late for my 'Look Good...Feel Better' workshop. By the time I got there they had packed up my stuff so that no one else would pinch it! They set it all up for me again and I was a bit overwhelmed. This is what greeted me....


Most of you would know that from this lot, all I would use on a regular basis is the facewash, moisturiser and lip gloss. The rest of it tends to freak me out. Anyway, the lady up the front then went through the steps to apply make-up and I did find it quite helpful. At least now if I do need to tizzy myself up I half know what I am doing. Plus she had a few tips that were helpful for people going through different stages of cancer and treatment. I was always a step behind and was lucky to have a lovely lady help me through each part. Anyway, it wasn't too painful. I'm not sure I'd call it enjoyable but I am glad to have been treated to a number of lovely bits and pieces of cosmetic stuff.

After the makeup lady, a lady from the hairdresser shop in the hospital spoke about wigs, hats and other head covers. Lucky me was the model. She put a couple of wigs on me, a couple of hats and a wrap. One of the wigs was blond and was weird because it had a big fringe which kept getting in my face. I haven't had hair for ages and it was strange. There were a couple of cool hats which drew a few 'oh' s from the other ladies. They did look quite good. I went down to the shop after my chemo and there were lots of different coloured wraps, so I got another one of those in a nice pink. Maybe photos later...

So I survived my beauty workshop and then headed upstairs to oncology. I had a lovely nurse (of course, they are all lovely) and got all my drugs. Cyclo still burned my sinuses, grrrr, but it was the last one. That one will definitely not be missed. I left around 2 pm and Dave picked me up. He had spent the morning at Bible College trying to get an essay done and then he caught up with a couple of friends for a man-date at the bakery. He had a pretty good day.

We trundled home, picked up the girls who had been to St Kilda playground, and then went home. I crashed at home. Dave made a delicious dinner while I attempted to read stories to Maesie but I kept falling asleep and she had to wake me up, "Mum, keep reading the story". Occasionally I would be half asleep and still 'reading' but it didn't make sense and would blur between The Lion King, which I was supposed to be reading and whatever dream was half on the way. It took me ages to read the darn stories and Dave was laughing. I made it in the end though and after tea I watched a little of the box and then went to bed around 10.

Today my mum took me in and the plan was that I would hook up to free wifi at MacDonald's Rundle Mall in order to get pre-sale tickets to the Powderfinger concert. Well, MacDonald's Rundle Mall didn't have wifi today. Bummer. So I left to try the library. Didn't open till 10. It was 9:10. Bummer #2. Thought I'd try in the food court under David Jones to see if I could pick up a rogue, unsecured network. I found a free city of Adelaide one which I think was legitimate. I got on to Venuetix but could not purchase any tickets. By 9:30 the pre-sale ones were all gone. Bummer #3. This means my current plan is to head to the city early on Friday to attempt to get tickets when they go on sale at 9.

After that disappointing start to the day, things were about to pick up as it was chemo time (please note: sarcasm). I got to East Wing, Level 7 on time, waited a little while, flicked through the riveting volume of journalism that was today's Advertiser, thought to myself "that's 10 minutes I'll never get back" and then it was my turn. Needle in the back of my left hand first go. Flush, etoposide, flush. Done and dusted. Out to the carpark where my dad had just pulled in and then he drove me home.

I've paid a few bills, had some lunch, made some calls, sorted out a few bits and pieces, had the cooler man pack up the cooler for the winter. I am now counting down the minutes until Dave and the girls get home. I look forward to seeing them all, but then it all gets a bit crazy and that's the part I don't like. Tea is sorted though (thanks) so that's one less thing to worry about.

Every now and again I get random people sending me random messages or telling me a little something and it is quite encouraging. Just to know people all over the place are thinking of me and the family and are alongside us for the ride. Have I mentioned that even the guy across the road pulled up the driveway one day and held my hand and said "The Lord Bless you" or something along those lines? Maybe, but it still struck me that even my neighbours care and they've all said that if we get into a pickle, they'd give us a hand. That's pretty cool to know. I have felt all along that the Lord has been surrounding us with people and things and moments. It's not been a waste of time, it's not been a disaster, it's not been terrible (well, ok, parts have been fairly yuck and average). But mostly, it has been a weird kind of blessing. Like children are supposedly a blessing. Hard, both children and cancer, but a blessing none the less. I'm still working out how best to use what I have learnt and what I keep learning through this 'chapter' of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment