Thursday, September 23, 2010

A very bad spray tan

Yesterday morning I was collected by an orderly and wheeled round to theatre for my mediastenoscopy and biopsy. I felt ok as I lay under the massive light with people in blue fussing about me and then the next thing I remember is attempting to wake up in recovery. General anaesthetics are so weird. After a little chuck of phlemy disgustingness and a mobile x-ray they wheeled me back to my room with Edith and Deirdre. They were happy to see me back safe and sound.


I spent most of the day snoozing on and off. Dave did come to visit for a couple of hours in the afternoon and my mum came in the evening. During the afternoon I felt a bit crummy - a bit sickly and I couldn't get comfortable but it passed and I started to feel better. I had a good couple of hours sleep before the rest of the night was interrupted by nurses coming in for all manner of reasons - blood pressure, nebuliser, antibiotics, a new jelco. It was annoying.

Dave told me that the surgeon had called him and told him that he didn't see anything in my chest that looked like lymphoma. He said he took a biopsy but that he didn't expect it to come back as active disease. I still have not seen or spoken to the man who actually cut my neck and poked around in there. I did, however, see him on Kochy and Mel this morning!

I had a shower this morning and scrubbed off my bad fake tan. I ate my breakfast, got dressed and packed up my stuff. The doctors visited during their round and said I would be able to go. A doctor came back later to tell me the results of the pathology. The biopsy came back as fatty tissue and fibrous tissue, no cancerous tissue.

I endured more chit chat from Edith and Deirdre. Fixed the curtain for Edith, threw away some manky flowers for Deirdre and helped Edith get her underpants on over the vacuum pump helping her leg wound to heal (too much information? probably) while I waited for my mum to pick me up.

Mum came and took me to Dave's sister's to meet up with him and the girls. I had a bit of lunch and then went back into the city for a seminar on water, sanitation and hygiene. After sneaking out early and pinching a bit of the afternoon tea I drove back and collected the rest of the family. On the way home to Gawler I called Dr Giri to find out what he thought of the biopsy result. He said that the surgeon had called him and passed on his observations during the operation. He said that the biopsy results and the surgeon's opinion, having looked at the area, over-ruled the PET scan from last week and that based on the new information, I was in remission.

So there it is. No more cancer. For now. No more chemo, no radiation. No more treatment.

I'm not quite sure what to do with that information just yet. It's going to take a while to sink in.

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will take a while to sink in for you - but for us readers out here, that is wonderful news. I have tears of joy in my eyes. Love to you all. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. not just for now Beth. You have to believe its no more cancer forever. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIPPEE GOD!!!!! We serve an amzing God. What super news to receive this morning. I am soooooooooooooooooo happy for you ALL.
    xxxJandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well why you work out what to do with this GORGEOUS information, I shall take the liberty of performing an all un-co-ordinated yet jubilant Elaine dance for you, dave and the girls!!!

    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

    Luv Ju *HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS* xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased for you all, Beth. I was praying and thinking of you this week and was overjoyed when Tony emailed to let everyone know the wonderful news. I hope you can all settle into some kind of 'normality' again now, and your physical strengh returns in full after this medical onslaught! It must still feel surreal after such a long time of dealing with all the emotions and side affects of the treatment. It truly is a prayer answered, and for that, we are all very grateful:) Sue Lange

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just knew you would have a post up from the last few days!!! And you never fail to surprise either with everything you say in the posts. So so true Jandra God is amazing!!! Hope that the next week goes well for you and that you can now begin to 'relax' and get your strength back and just enjoy time with the family!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete