Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Two elderly room-mates

I'm in the RAH with Edith and Deirdre. These names have been changed but the real ones sound equally as elderly. One of them has had open heart surgery and the other had a pace-maker put in today. We're getting along famously for now but I'm not sure about later in the night once Edith goes back to her snoring.

It's been an interesting day. I called the hospital at 10:30 as I was instructed and they told me to come in between 12 and 1. I packed up my things at work and wandered over to the hospital. When I got to the admissions office there was a guy there trying to get his teeth fixed. He wasn't on the list and should have been at the Dental hospital instead of the RAH. He said something about Glenside and didn't seem completely with-it. He had no idea where the dental hospital was and the admissions lady wasn't being very helpful with her directions so I volunteered to take him down there. Luckily he was on the list there so I said farewell, wished him luck getting his teeth seen to and returned to the admissions office.

After a few minutes reading about Brad and Ang I was called in to the office to complete my first wad of paperwork and an official hospital wrist band. Then over to radiology for an x-ray. I waited there for a little while before it was my turn for a couple of snaps. From there I wandered over to Ward A4 and set myself up in bed 18. Since then I've peed in a little plastic pot, swabbed my nose, had blood sucked out of my arm, answered lots of questions, signed consent forms, met my two anaesthetists and consumed something they passed off as food on a plate that came around at dinner time.

My mum called in and I was allowed out of the hospital for a little while. I wandered across the road and bought some tea bags and then got a hot chocolate from Cibo before heading back to hospital to settle in for the night.

Hopefully it all goes well tomorrow. There's a fair few risks they've told me about and although they only tell you because they have to and the chance of it actually happening is small, it is a bit freaky. I had to sign to say that I understand that if it goes pear-shaped they may have to open up my chest. What the? I hope it all goes smoothly and is as simple as they expect it to be. I also hope and pray the biopsy comes back clear of disease.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Beth. Hoping all goes well for you. Belinda McNamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little family is sending so many mental hugs to you and yours. Thinking of you so much *hugs*

    Ju xo

    ReplyDelete