Thursday, September 9, 2010

Do not go to the Plaza on Sunday afternoon

Father's Day. Well. We all slept in a little because it was a late, interrupted night. David opened his gifts and was happy to receive some chocolate treats and random items decorated by our children (many thanks to pre-school and child-care for supervising those activities).

We rushed around to get ready for church and arrived with just enough time for David to plug in his guitar and tune it before the service started. Following the service we went home briefly to collect our dessert and other items for the rest of the day. I was stressing a bit because I thought we would be late, however we were heading to the MacVillage so I should not have worried. We arrived to the usual chaos and added more into the mix. We ended up eating a bit after 2. I disappeared for a while and drove to the Plaza to get cream. Foolish mistake. There were loads of people at the Plaza. It was nuts. I did return to the village despite yearnings for far off peaceful lands and then we had sticky date pudding, with cream, for dessert.

The spa was enjoyed by many, in a few shifts, and Maesie disintegrated around 6 pm with sore legs and arms. She whinged and moaned for the next hour or so before falling asleep on the way home in the car. I think Elsie wiped herself and her doll with a wet-wipe for the trip home.

It was an okay day but it was just fairly nuts. There's seven grandchildren and much of Village time is spent feeding them, washing them, changing their pants (the ones under 3), supervising spas, sorting out disputes and tracking down crawling babies. Then there's food to organise for everyone else, dishes to do, tea and coffee to sort out etc etc. It doesn't feel like much of a catch up with anyone, just a whole lot of doing stuff near each other. Families have been doing similar things for ages and places where village living really is village living seem to have it sorted out so I'm not quite sure why this village is so nuts. I do, however, have my suspicions ;)

We got home about 7:30 and got the girls to bed. It felt like it was 11pm. I signed us both up for the City to Bay 12 km run and went to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Beth,
    I do recall you arriving just on time on Sunday... I thought to myself... It's Fathers Day :) Probably were frantically getting ready to go see the fam after...
    As for going to the plaza... hmmm we went to Woolworths after church I would say that was a mistake took a good 10minutes to get through the check out for one thing! It totally seemed like it was Christmas time! i bet this sunday it'll be completely different. :)

    ReplyDelete