Sunday, September 19, 2010

Run on

Yesterday we dropped the girls off with Dave's sister and her family for the night before coming home to eat a hearty dinner of chicken pasta and go to bed early.

This morning Dave and I got up a bit after 5, showered, quickly ate some porridge for breakfast, packed our bits and pieces and drove to Starplex to catch the bus. We were late and just in time to rush in to join the team for a photo. After that it was on to the bus for the trip down to Elder Park to start the City to Bay.

We started the run. We passed Wonderwoman with a stitch, some guy from the FBI and a ghostbuster. We got passed by kids, people pushing prams while they ran and army guys carrying a full pack.


We made it to the halfway mark in a bit less than 40 minutes, so I thought I'd get to the end in less than 80, but I struggled more in the second half. I plodded on and just tried to stick with Dave who was like my pace car. Closer to the end, I realised I wasn't going to make my 80 minute goal so then I just aimed to keep going and not stop. I really just wanted to stop but I pressed on and crossed the line with a time of 82 minutes, 41 seconds. I'm pretty happy with that. I couldn't train quite as hard as I would have liked and I'm carrying more weight than I would have liked. Plus I've had chemo in the last year. I guess that's got to count for something. I'm glad to have done the run this year and to have finished it and to not have stopped. In one way, it means more to me this year, given the happenings of the recent past, but I think I would have liked to get through the run even if all was well.


My legs are sore now, particularly my nanna knees. Just achy, nothing too serious. My feet held up to the test again, well worth every penny spent on them. I do have a blister on my little toe, but that's not too bad.

3 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMAN! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are (and have always been) truly an inspiration, Beth! xx Lene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Beth, How FLIPPING AMAZING are you?? Even if you don't feel it - just know you are to me!! You and Dave are a smashing couple!! XX

    Ju *hugs*

    ReplyDelete