Thursday, September 9, 2010

I made my cake and ate it too

I was reminded last weekend that it was the Father's Day weekend last year when I first noticed the lump on the left side of my neck. I felt crummy and had some sort of cold so I rubbed along my neck to see if my glands were up. Turns out, one was really up. The next week I went to the doctor about it, the first of about four trips, and the rest is history. Crazy what can happen in a year.

My lemon cake made for Tuesday, with adventurous lemons, turned out very well. It was bloomin' delicious.

On Monday at work, I got a new stapler. It was even still in the box. I haven't used it yet but I hope it staples better than the one I have now. The current one is crunchy during operation and I like a stapler with a smooth action.

One other random note is that I have gradually been going through some of the girls' baby things and getting rid of them. Many to other friends and family, some to the op shop. It has been slightly cathartic to remove these things from the house. I neither teared up nor giggled uncontrollably but I did pause for a brief moment (and it really was brief) to reflect on the past baby years and to bid them a (fond?) farewell. I did, for a nanosecond, wonder if any of it should be kept for longer in case we have another child but then I decided that I would rather get all these nappy boxes containing extraneous clothing out of the house and if there ever is a #3, they can wear one suit forever.

Our City to Bay numbers came in the post yesterday. I'm aiming to finish 12km in 80 minutes. Don't laugh.

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow and I have three things to ask her about - my coldy cough, my crusty/flaky eyes and some weird sores on my chest.

It strikes me that I haven't made a mention of anything particularly God-related for some time. This is more a slackness in my recording rather than an absence of anything to note. He continues to provide for me and the family. All sorts of things including moments of joy, patience when otherwise humanly impossible, energy and random bits and pieces - a voucher from a friend, a parcel from someone else - for no particular reason. I have a PET scan a week from today, on the 16th, which should be the decider. If there's activity shown, something else will probably need to be done. If there's no activity indicated then I get the all-clear. I don't feel anxious about the scan, I still feel at peace about the whole thing. Whatever will be is in the hands of the God of the universe and I'm okay with that.

3 comments:

  1. Beth,
    you're such an inspiration!!!!
    On another note yes I did notice you had been giving clothes away... or was that hearing from Jasmyn? good either way.
    Ohhh I love getting new stationery and craft supplies i have one big stapler and one small one. Both of them work quite well though i have experienced those bad ones in operation.
    City to Bay thats exciting... I remember you doing that in other years.
    Well yes ... in Him we trust! Love the way you have put it how He continues to provide for you all. It's amazing how He can give us soooo much peace when everything is changing and there is so much uncertainty. "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:13) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7 updates already this month!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't dream of laughing - my goal is exactly half yours - the 6kms in 40-45 mins! Good luck! Wendy

    ReplyDelete