Monday, September 6, 2010

My big fat Italian wedding...

We've had a big weekend. Saturday morning began with our usual Starplex adventures - Dave taught Combat, I did Balance and the girls were in creche. We came home to have a shower, get dressed and pack the girls' things because Dave and I were going to a wedding and dropping the girls at my folks' on the way.

I very much dislike getting dressed up for weddings and other such events. I'm never sure what to wear. Part of me wants to wear fancy clothes, part of me most definitely does not. I require comfort so I refuse to wear some whimsical fabric blouse when it's 12 degrees, blowing a gale and raining. I hate being rushed getting ready yet invariably that's the way it is. I think I had 15 minutes to shower and dress on Saturday which would usually be ok if it was t-shirt jeans and jumper but when there are ear-rings involved and beads and stockings and heels and all sorts it's just too much for me.

I had a slight dilemma over underpants because I couldn't find a certain pair. The 'seamless' type. I still don't know where they are. It made me cranky but I didn't have enough time to sort it out so I had to settle for second best. I pulled on black pants (recently purchased from Vinnies), a black top (also from Vinnies) and my warm woollen jacket. Maesie helpfully said to me as I rapidly slapped product in my weirdo hair "Mum, you should look lovely for a wedding" to which I replied "Don't I look lovely?" "No, you need a dress to be lovely." Thanks, dearest daughter, that's just what your self-conscious/anti-dress-up mum needs to hear. I'm not sure where she gets these ideas from. I blame Disney princesses because it doesn't come from me.

We made it in time for the wedding and it was a lovely service. After the ceremony we had some time to kill so went to the shops for a few last minute Father's Day gifts. We went to Lizzy and wandered around in our wedding garb. It was quite amusing. Dave and I spent a nice time chatting about a few things - what to do with this blog, what would we do if we were just getting married now, what might happen next year - as we sat and had coffee and a muffin.

In a rare turn of events, we were early to the reception and got a carpark close to the doors. I wrote in the card and we wandered in without rushing. It was nice for a change. The wedding was between two people of Italian heritage and it was big. The groom was one of my good friends from uni and we felt privileged to be invited. The room was so large there was a screen on the wall projecting the events of the evening for all to see. There was a big dance floor and plenty of space for hundreds of people. The food was delicious and abundant. It was a real feast but more than that it was a real celebration. I was struck by the traditions of the culture and the number of children that were in attendance. There were loads of them and they were running amok and staying up too late but no one was phased by them or worried about them, at least that's the way it appeared. The children were just as much a part of the family celebration. It was a challenge to me because it's not the way I think. Perhaps I need to embrace some Italian views on parenting, children and family.


We left late, snuck into my parent's place and plucked our girls out of bed and eventually got into bed ourselves just after 1, leaving us with about 5 hours sleep before Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment