Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Poor neglected August

I see that I have only managed 4 posts during August. That's only one a week. I think this is due to two main factors: 1) there's not a great deal of 'news' to share and 2) I'm back to being busy again and don't have as much time to type things out. I think that I will continue until I have my next scan and then I will have a think about whether or not to keep going with this blog.

The last 10 days have included a number of highlights:
  • I caught up with a friend to discuss the menu for CV conference. We will be cooking for the weekend and we had a fun little chat about what we might try.
  • Reporting income to Centrelink (hahaha......lowlight more like).
  • Meeting with a group of ladies with ministery-type husbands to discuss and pray.
  • Helping with a lunch at the Community House in Gawler.
  • Going to the Gawler Show.
  • Tuesday
I think I have decided to register for the City to Bay and give 12 kms another go. It's in the morning, which is my best time of day so hopefully I won't be too tired. I ran 6 kms with only a couple of breaks today and so I want to try and push myself a bit for more of a challenge. If I end up having to walk bits of the course then so be it. I think it would be good for morale for me to get to the end. I did it last year with lymphoma and a mass pressing on my heart and lungs, I should be able to do it again this year.

The most significant chemo related thing lately has been my eyes, still. The eye balls themselves aren't too bad and if they do get dry and itchy then I put drops in that help. It's more the eyelids that are crap. They are red and flakey. It looks like I've got bad eye-shadow on. And the flakey skin falls onto my glasses. It's like dandruff of the eyelids. I've tried a number of moisturising products, including Bio Oil and my usual face cream but they just sting and although they get rid of the flakey-ness, the redness gets worse. I am thinking of booking in to see my GP but I haven't done it yet. My eyes may also be burning because I'm tired from getting up two or three times each night to the precious treasures that are my children.


Here's a picture of my eye-shadowy eyes, but I don't have any makeup on. You can't really see the flakiness. That's probably a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. beth- you surely inspire me alot with your keen-ness to challenge yourself- and... run 12 kms- that is awesome!!

    and for your eyes- if it is anything like i get, a small bit of eczema- i often find topical medical cream helpful (clears up quickly)- or sorbelene cream with NOT additives or smells or flavors- as they sting.

    but yes, see what you think. and sending you much love xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem with my eyes too - it's horrible! I have 1% sigmacort cream from my GP but she also suggested using vaseline as apparently it is really hydrating and should help with the dryness. Needs to be the tub of petroleum jelly type vaseline, not the tube variety. Haven't tried it yet, but it might be worth giving that a go :)

    ReplyDelete