Friday, May 28, 2010

I'd really rather not

I read more about stem cell transplants last night and as interesting as it may be, I think I'd rather read about it than have to go through it. Have a look on the Leukaemia Foundation website if you want more info but it would mean bone pain as extra blood cells are made, harsh chemo with all the side effects of sickness and hair loss, a central line straight into the heart (no cannulas) because they have to give you so many different things it's just easier to have it all set up. Ages in hospital, ages waiting for the new cells to 'take' and for blood counts to rise. If I have to, I have to and I'll manage but I'd really rather not. It would totally mess with Dave and the girls, not to mention the rest of the family. If you're a pray-er then some petitions to the Lord Almighty who can heal along the lines of no more active disease in me and a negative result in my PET scan wouldn't go astray.

It is perhaps inevitable that I occasionally think about my death these days. I am not afraid of dying. It may not be overly comfortable but I can cope with discomfort. What is more difficult and upsetting is thoughts of who and what will be left behind and missed. My beautiful, annoying, clever, cute, frustrating, heart-warming girls. My lovely, annoying, clever, handsome, frustrating, companionable husband. My two families. Friends. Opportunities. Growing old. However, I am promised by the Bible that as good as life on Earth can be, eternal life in heaven is going to blitz it. It won't even compare. It's hard to get my head around it, but I believe it.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Beth. It made me oh so teary. I will be praying and praying for you and the family. I will be praying specifically for no more active disease in your body. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.
    xoxo Jandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one is going to let you go without a fight and I reckon God is aware of this :) Never far from our thoughts you amazing woman *hugs*

    Ju xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying extra hard for you all, Beth. We haven't made it in to church this month due to a run of other commitments, but you have been in my thoughts and prayers often and I look forward to seeing you soon. Let me know if you need any meals or would like to drop off the girls for a play date with Gemma one afternoon, so you can have a little more time out:)

    Sue L xx

    ReplyDelete