Saturday, May 8, 2010

Still below par

It's Saturday morning and I would rather be at the gym but I am knackered so I am staying home. Dave has taken Maesie, Elsie and their cousin to creche and I am enjoying a few moments of quiet at home.

I had a blood test yesterday and my haemoglobin was down to 84 (it should be above 100), which is part of what is making me tired. My potassium was also low which can make people tired. So I have a double helping of tiredness. My neutrophils have also taken a dive, although there were still enough to register on the test so that's more than I've had during other rounds. I'm feeling a bit annoyed about it all though because I had my last chemo on Tuesday and then in my head I've been thinking 'That's that' and I really hadn't allowed for these usual side effects and down time. I did get a slightly higher dose of some of the drugs during this last round because they had to adjust it due to my weight. I guess it's fair enough then that I might go down a bit more than the last few rounds. I'm still feeling pissy about it because I don't like feeling wonky.

I have had a bit of a sore red bit next to my right big toe, like it's in-grown, but I don't think it is. I am keeping an eye on it because Dave and I were joking that it would suck that if at the end of my last round I have to spend time in hospital because of a festy toe. Hopefully my white blood cells get their act together and come out in droves tomorrow and sort it all out.

The last few days have been okay, but I haven't been firing completely. On Wednesday Dave and the girls were all out and I had a good day by myself at home, but I still didn't get loads of stuff done. And I know that that's supposed to be okay, but I'm getting a bit over being under par.

Thursday was okay but much the same health wise. Maesie had preschool in the morning and then in the afternoon I took both girls round to a friend's place where they had a good play with her girls and I had a cup of tea and a chat. It was a mostly pleasant time with only a few moments of conflict resolution required between the children.

Dave has been trying to finish an essay this week and that has been difficult as I can't give him as much free time as he needs to get it done. He's been working hard on it but it has been tricky because he hasn't done an essay for the last few months, while I've been having treatment. He's not too keen on writing essays anyway so it's been extra hard to press through.

Yesterday I went to High Tea with Dave's mum, sisters and grandma, something we'd been planning to do since last Mother's Day. We just scraped in before this Mother's Day. We went up to Newman's Nursery and it was lovely. A two tiered plate of small bites of deliciousness, just for me. I did feel a bit weak and wonky after it though, but I'm not sure if that was a chemo thing or a big sugar hit! After that we spent some crazy time in the MacGillivray village as the show they are all involved in (Comedy Capers) had it's opening night last night.

We left with an extra child, a cousin aged in between our girls and headed home for a crazy bath time, tea time, story time and then bed. It didn't go too badly and they were all asleep by around 7:30 pm. They all slept well through the night and then it was time for the morning craziness getting dressed, breakfast, teeth, hair etc etc. Anyway, they were all sorted and that gets me back to the start of this post. I, on the other hand, am yet to shower, dress and brush my teeth. I'm off to do it now....

No comments:

Post a Comment