Sunday, January 17, 2010

The week in review

Apologies for the lack of updates but the summary of the past week is that everything has been going quite well.

As for the details...

Tuesday was etoposide at the RAH late in the morning. We introduced ourselves to and had a little chat with another couple in the oncology day centre - my neighbour for the day, Monica. After that we went to Word bookshop for a while, then lunch. Wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli. Not really very wholesome or nutritious and I'm not sure they're recommended in any of my 'cancer diet' books but they were delicious.

After that we headed to the Bible College of South Australia where I returned some hideously overdue books and found out that I have completed all the requirements for the Graduate Diploma of Divinity and so I'm finished! Hoorah! I ended up passing the last essay and so passed the subject too. That was very good news.

Following BCSA we spent an hour browsing in Angus and Robertson, which was grand. Even better was that I had some vouchers to spend so I actually purchased a few books. I was feeling a bit tired after all this so we headed back to the unit for a little while, prior to going to see my Grandma who is in a nursing home near the unit. We got there at tea time and my mum was there to feed grandma. It was good to catch up with my mum and see my grandma but it was also a bit sad. Grandma can no longer express her thoughts or remember much or write things down, but she still understands things and has things she would like to say. Every now and then she would hold my mum's hands and look at her with pleading eyes, willing mum to be able to work out what Grandma was thinking. I got a little upset when I realised that I don't actually know a great deal about my Grandma and I'm not sure I've ever sat down and asked her about her life. She wasn't much of a talker either, so she didn't volunteer much but now those stories are lost because she can't tell them.

Wednesday was more etoposide then down to West Beach for lunch and to pick up the girls. We then endured a less than pleasant drive down to Victor Harbor as Elsie cried on and off for the whole way. We survived though and settled into our unit accommodation at the caravan park before visiting some friends for dinner, which was just lovely.

Thursday we spent most of the day at my sister's, at the farm in Milang. The cousins played quite well and we had a nice little catch up. It was another good day.

Thursday night was the start of the Church Missionary Society Summer Encounter, a conference about what's happening with SA CMS missionaries around the world and about mission more broadly. Dave stayed at the unit and put the kids to bed and I went to the session. It was nice to be out and I caught up with lots of friends we don't get to see very much.

Friday and Saturday have been much of the same. We've been at the conference, enjoying Victor, catching up with friends. Fairly normal. I have continued swilling down my breakfast chaser of tablets and I took my thermometer with me and checked my temperature occasionally but other than that, mostly the way things would have otherwise been.

We did however, return home today to yet another blessing. From what we can work out, a number of sneaky folk conspired during our week away and we have been 'front-yard blitzed'. We could not believe it when we turned into the driveway. We cried. Our front yard has been a bit of a disaster over the five or so years we have been here. Now it is so lovely. We just have to make sure we keep it all alive and weed-free! We are continually touched by the generosity and love shown to us by others and thank the Lord for keeping us in His hands and providing so much more than what we need.



Now the postman won't deliver my mail because he won't recognise the yard!

2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    Awesome front yard!! what a blessing the Martins are. That Asher needs a good wife.
    So glad you like the design, it looks really great.
    Praying this week goes well for you all.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just the Martins, but a number of others too. We've had reports from the neighbours they were working hard!

    ReplyDelete