Sunday, July 18, 2010

Non-serene Victoria

We're in the Grampians. I did bring my mobile internet connection but there is no service here (no thanks to Vodafone). I'll have to try and find some coverage and post this later.

We travelled over on Monday and survived the car trip without too many hassles, thanks to a DVD player and a new Pocoyo DVD. The girls put up with six hours in the car and we only stopped twice. At one point we put on a CD of the BFG being read. Maesie fell asleep but Dave and I enjoyed it. We did almost hit a kangaroo on the last stretch into Halls Gap but Dave skilfully avoided hitting the beastie.

We went on a little walk on Tuesday morning before it started to rain and after lunch Elsie had a rest, Maesie and all her friends watched 'Monsters Inc' and Dave installed Baldur's Gate on his computer.

Victorian school holidays have finished and there aren't many people in the caravan park. It would be quite peaceful except there has been a bobcat out the front of our cabin doing some demolition work on both Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons. How's the serenity?!

On Wednesday morning we attempted to get to the top of Mount William in a quest to see snow. We didn't make it to the very top because it was ultra cold and Maesie wasn't keen to push on. I would have liked to get to the top but it was probably wisest for many reasons to cut our expedition short. I felt a bit ripped off though, like I have a couple of times when we've been out at friends' and about to play cards and the girls have woken up and we've gone home. Just part of parenting that I am still not used to - the continued setting aside of my own preferences in order to accommodate the small people in my care. I know I still need to ensure I meet my own needs and arrange to play cards unhindered if that's what I really want to do (which it isn't just yet), but you get what I mean.

Back at the car, we had a little picnic in the boot.

I have been reading a book entitled 'How to Read Your Child Like a Book'. It has been quite helpful in thinking about how to approach Maesie and her bossyness and annoying ways because it explains why kids do things at particular ages. It has got me thinking that I am a better parent in theory than in practise. In theory it's all very interesting how children grow up and learn but day to day helping them along is a hard slog for me, which I am a bit frustrated by because I would like to be able to enjoy my days rather than struggle through them, dragging youngsters towards independence. I still believe they are a blessing from the Lord, just a rather complex blessing.

1 comment: