Thursday, July 1, 2010

America - great to visit but don't get cancer there

I did RPM yesterday and today I am quite tired. This is crapola. I know I could experience fatigue for up to a year or so but I don't understand exactly why it keeps going for so long after the treatment. It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Stupid body should sort itself out.

Today I got up around 7:30 and had some breakfast and helped with feeding and dressing the small people. I waved Dave and the children off and then returned to bed to read for a while and then sleep for a while too. I got up again at 11am. That' s weird for me. I've kind of hauled myself around for the rest of the day. We did all venture down to the Munno this afternoon so that I could have an eye test and organise some new glasses. I am a tiny bit more blind in each eye. Yippee.

I have started reading a book by an American chick which is a compilation of lots of interviews she did with cancer patients in their twenties and thirties. It is an interesting book and different from most of the other cancer books I've read. What has struck me so far is that it is indeed a blessing to live in Australia and even though our health system is not flawless, it is pretty good. Medicare is a good system, for the most part. I have paid only a few dollars for a few tablets. I haven't paid for my scans or any of my chemo, which are crazy expensive drugs. I have paid in part because I have paid taxes and will pay them again in the future but I feel pretty lucky not to have the burden of having to sort out how I'm going to pay for the next round or any of that. In America it would not be that simple. People have to wade through excessive paperwork just to sort out how they are going to fund their treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment