Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eighties memories

I see it is a week since I last wrote. There's not a whole lot to say. Very little related to lymphoma anyway - only that I am attempting to get back to normal and keep getting tripped up by fatigue.

I shan't recall all the happenings of the last week but will instead offer highlights.

We watched the movie 'Ghost Town' on Friday night. We thought it was a good movie and had a good giggle over that one.

We had dinner with six other couples on Saturday night and it was a lovely night out. We did take the girls with us this time though and Maesie woke up coughing and croaky just as we were about to play cards so we decided to go home. It was about 11pm anyway so probably time for us to be heading off but it was still a bit frustrating to not get to play cards because of youngsters. My sister and I probably cut short some of our parents' bridge nights, I'm not sure.

On Sunday afternoon we went to an afternoon tea to farewell some friends who are heading to Melbourne for missionary training. It was a pleasant afternoon - hot beverages, cupcakes, good company and conversation. I had made some biscuits and carrot cupcakes for the afternoon but the biscuits were not needed. On Sunday night I sandwiched them together with the left over cream cheese frosting from the cupcakes and then took them in to work on Monday. They went down a treat.

My sister ended up taking her 8 week old daughter to the Womens and Childrens Hospital on Monday night because she had a temperature that wouldn't go down. It ended up being a urinary tract infection and they left the hospital today but it meant that yesterday I was able to go and see my sister and niece both at lunchtime and after work. It was great to see them even though the circumstances weren't the best.

After leaving the hospital last night I circled the city a bit to find a park and then went to dinner at a splendid Chinese restaurant in Gouger St. The food was delicious and the company was, once more, delightful. Laughs, stories, catching up - it was all good. On the way home I cranked up the radio which at one point played T-Rex which always makes me remember fondly the eighties and my dad driving the trusty old Tarago.

My good mood was slightly dampened when I arrived home to find Dave snoozing on the couch with Maesie on his lap because she had coughed until she spewed and then freaked out a bit and wanted to wait up for me. She settled back to bed okay after I was home and then neither girl stirred until about quarter to 7 this morning. It was nice to have a reasonable block of sleep uninterrupted.

Today's excitement was going to see Toy Story 3. Dave and I took Maesie to the cinema for the first time. She was very excited and we all enjoyed the movie. It featured a pair of Ken shorts that also brought back fond memories of the eighties - playing Barbies with my sister. It also made me shed a tear or two as it feels like the end of an era in some weird way. My favourite quote came from Maesie today who said, about Andy playing with the toys, "He thinks they're pretend but they're real". My favourite observation from today was a man wearing desert boots. My Grandpa always used to wear desert boots so it was a little reminder of him and it made me chuckle.

My hair is growing back, as hair that isn't being attacked by chemo does however I am getting annoyed about it now. I just want my hair back. It's okay to not have hair while it's all happening but now that I am not having treatment I wish I could just look like a normal person. My hair almost looks like it could be a haircut of choice so that makes me feel slightly awkward when I am out and about. I feel like I need a sign around my neck that says "I didn't get this crappy haircut on purpose - I've just finished chemo". Maybe I'll print a T-shirt.

1 comment:

  1. totally print a t-shirt. very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete