Monday, August 16, 2010

A well dressed doctor

Doctor: (flicking from the back to the front of a medical file, slightly puzzled) You've put on 15 kilograms since November.
Patient: (annoyed) Yeah, I know! And I'm not happy about it. Your anti-sickness drugs were too good and I didn't have any trouble eating!
Doctor: Haven't you been back to exercising at the gym?
Patient: (still annoyed) Yes. And it hasn't done anything.......Now, what about my dry eyes?

A short scene from a drama I've been working on. The part of the doctor was played by Dr Giri today and the part of the patient was played by me. Apart from this brief exchange regarding my weight gain, there is not a great deal to report from my appointment. Blood results are fine. My eye dryness may be due to chemo but there's not a whole lot to do. Drops for the inside, moisturiser for the eyelid on the outside. Dr Giri has had some troubles with his mobile phone plan (they called while I was there). I was thinking today that perhaps I should try and describe Dr Giri for you. Maybe I shouldn't because I've tried to keep most people anonymous-ish, but nevermind. I'm not too sure how old he is. Older than me, but not as old as my folks. Maybe 40ish? I'm terrible at guessing age..... He is a well dressed man with an interesting walk that I can't really describe, it has an element of 'swagger' in it. He has a fancy little pocket with his favourite pen (and I think pencil) in it. It is a fountain type pen. Dark blue ink. He has his phone in one of those little holstery things on his belt and his hands are ok. Fairly thin fingers with round ends. Not squidgy. He has a leather satchel bag with a long strap which he carries on his shoulder, with the strap across his chest, when on the move. I would say he's neither tall nor short and fairly lean, but not skinny. I think he wears glasses but for all of my other observations, I can't be sure about this one. The name Giri is a bit of a give away but he does have some sort of Indian-like (picking nationalities, like ages, is another disaster area of mine) background displayed in brown skin, black hair and an accent. Not sure why all this matters really but just thought it should be noted. My doctor is not a tall old man with white hair, fat fingers and sensible shoes.

2 comments:

  1. I like your comments about your doctor Beth! We went back to the kids allergist last Friday and he is a lovely guy but I think he might be the kind of doctor you described! He is very intense though and keen to sort things out so you can have the best chance of an ordinary life. Not sure that we aim for that but in a physical sense it does seem rather ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha your comments about your doctor are hilarious. ahhhh im sooo excited about being able to spend more time playing with the 'little people' in my life now I am free!!! haha :) xo

    ReplyDelete