Sunday, November 29, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a pill-box

It has come to my attention that in my previous post stating things had been cleared up and I would be receiving BEACOPP, I didn't include when that was going to start. It will indeed commence tomorrow, Monday the 30th November. So Monday to Wednesday this week I will go to the RAH, then again next Monday. Then wait/recover for 13 days till Monday 21st and get slogged again.

Tomorrow I will receive doxorubicin (our swivel preventing friend) and cyclophosphamide (related to mustard gas) by intravenous infusion. I will also get a dose of etoposide intravenously. I will get etoposide on Tuesday and Wednesday as well. Etoposide is exciting. It is derived from mandrake root and its mode of action is not clearly known. Oh. That's a comfort. They know this kills cells but are just not quite sure how. I feel I am entering medieval times.

I will also start taking procarbazine and prednisone tablets tomorrow. Procarbazine inhibits the synthesis of DNA and RNA so cells can't divide and I'll take that for 7 days. Prednisone is a corticosteroid and I will need to ask exactly what this is for.

I will also be given a drug called mesna to prevent the inflammation of the bladder that cyclophosphamide may cause. And allopurinol to assist my body to clear the destroyed cells. And pegfilgrastim to aid in the recovery of my white blood cells. Lucky Maesie has told me she will give me a lollypop and a glass of water because I think I'm going to need them.

I'm going to have to take all this to the chemist and ask them to make me one of those press out packs so that I don't get in a muddle. Or maybe I'll just buy one of those pill boxes with the days of the week. My nanna-ish tendancies are about to hit all time heights.

2 comments:

  1. just think of it like a giant Advent Calender, infact you could make one with match boxes like we used to do in primary school. although eating all the 'treats' inside before the actual day could get nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's ok, I'm considering a pill box with all the vitamins my mum/grandma make me take... I like the idea of the advent calendar- it'd almost make it exciting!!

    Beth, it really is amazing how much you know about what they're doing... it makes my brain explode!

    ReplyDelete